Mon - Fri : 8AM - 6PM
Sat : Store Hours Vary
Sun : Closed
Strange Traffic Laws from Around the World
January 17, 2019
If you’ve ever driven in a foreign country, you’ve probably encountered your fair share of strange traffic laws. Did you know you’ll be fined for driving a dirty car in Russia or for driving without a breathalyzer in your car in France? Some of these laws are hard to believe!
1. In Russia, you will be fined for driving a dirty vehicle. 2. In Germany, it is illegal to run out of fuel on the Autobahn.
3. In Alabama it is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street, but only if you attach a lantern to the front of your vehicle.
4. Here’s another fun one from Alabama: It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle (Doesn’t this one make you wonder what inspired the law to be passed?).
5. In Ontario, all sleighs must be equipped with a minimum of two bells. You will not be laughing all the way with only one bell because you will be slapped with a $5 fine.
6. If you planned on recreating the Kentucky Derby on a Canadian highway, we’ve got some bad news. It is illegal in Ontario to “furiously race or drive any horse or another animal on a highway.
7. If you are driving a hackney carriage around London, you best be carrying a bale of hay to feed your horse. The law has been in the books since the Victorian era!
8. In some Spanish neighborhoods, vehicles are only permitted to park on the side of the road where the even-numbered houses appear.
9. In South Africa, you will be fined if you do not slow or stop for passing livestock. The fine is a hefty one, too, at $500.
10. In Scandinavia, headlights aren’t just required when it is dark or raining but all the time. This is mostly due to the poor driving conditions in the region year-round.
11. In Costa Rica, drinking and driving is perfectly legal. You can enjoy a cold one behind the wheel so long as you do not become too intoxicated.
So, the next time you travel abroad and plan on renting a vehicle, be sure to study the traffic laws (all of them!) before getting behind the wheel!